According to Ayurveda, Morning breakfast is crucial to boost the immunity and digestive system i.e ‘Ojas’, and ‘Agni’ in Sanskrit. Our digestive system is weaker in the morning and it is recommended to eat a lighter breakfast that consists of fresh fruits. Fruit like Orange must be avoided as it causes ‘Pitta’ – acidic reaction in the empty stomach. Ayurveda also insists on avoiding food loaded with high sugar and starch as it weakens the energy level of the individual.
Vata and Pitta breakfast recipe: Almond Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3 tbsp soaked and peeled almonds
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tbsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Grind oats and peeled almonds.
- Mix all the ingredients with almonds oats mix and stir and bring it to boil.
- Reduce the heat flame and let it simmer until cooked.
Note: For protein, use Cashew Milk. For a vegan option, use Almond milk and vegan butter instead of ghee.
Kapha breakfast recipe: Apple Cinnamon Porridge
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1 ½ tsp honey (cooking and garnishing)
- 1 tsp toasted sliced walnuts (garnishing)
- 1 small or medium-sized apple
- 1/4 cup dry millet
- 1 cup water
- 1/4tsp cardamom powder
- Mix all the ingredients well and add a cup of water.
- Stir and bring it to boil until cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Garnish porridge with 1 tsp honey and toasted sliced walnuts.
Note: This recipe is vegan friendly.